600 Squadron flies in to the Hall
Published on: 23 October 2023
"On Friday 13th October, The Master and I attended 600 (City of London) Squadron’s Dinner held in the Great Hall. 600 Squadron is the WCB’s Royal Air Force affiliated unit, and Butchers’ Hall is the venue of choice for their annual Squadron dinner.
On this evening, there were 55 RAF personnel in attendance, officers, NCO’s and guests. Wing Commander Stephen Duddy, Commanding Officer of the Squadron based at Northolt, hosted the evening.
He informed those assembled what activities the Squadron had been involved in during 2023 and what would be happening in 2024.
Commander Duddy also expressed a hope to be able to build closer ties with Liverymen of the WCB in the future.
Group Captain Calame and their Honorary Air Commodore Viscount Trenchard were present and also gave short speeches.
FS Victoria Bannister commented after the meal that they "...had a wonderful evening. Everyone commented how good the meal was, especially the beef. It was a revelation to some that you can also eat flowers!"
600 (City of London) Squadron began life at Royal Air Force Northolt on 14 October 1925, initially as a Bomber Squadron, changing role to a fighter squadron in the 1930s. During the blitz, the Squadron helped pioneer night fighter airborne interception radar operations. It ended the war with the highest score of any Allied night-fighter Squadron. After a brief post-war disbandment, the Squadron was reformed in 1947 at Biggin Hill serving for a further 10 years before being disbanded in 1957 as part of the defence review.
600 (City of London) Squadron was re-formed on 1st October 1999 from the personnel of No. 1 and No. 3 Maritime Headquarters Units.
At a Court meeting held on 2 June 1955, the Master, Frederick Jenkins asked the Court to consider adopting the unit It was agreed and the relationship was formerly affiliated.
A new 'Standard'
On Saturday 24 June 2023 the Squadron had the great honour to be presented with a new ‘standard’ in a ceremony at Northolt, which had been attended by last year's Master PM Andrew Parker and his Consort Simone. The new 'standard' together with another standard was on display in the Great Hall for the dinner.
Ties with our Priory church
In our priory church, St Bartholomew The Great, the Lady Chapel dedicated to 600 Squadron. A number of artefacts are also on display, including their original standard which had been presented to the Squadron by Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother in 1953, who was also their Honorary Air Commodore."
Liveryman Julien Pursglove, Military Liaison