Renter Assistant Margaret Boanas wins Meat Businesswoman of the Year
Published on: 3 December 2020
The Worshipful Company of Butchers’ Renter Assistant and chairman of IMTA, Margaret Boanas, was named Meat Businesswoman of the Year during the annual Women in Meat Industry Awards.
The usual black-tie dinner was unable to take place, for obvious reasons, and so was broadcast via the womeninmeatawards.com website from a special studio on 2nd December.
Organised and presented by Meat Management, the 2020 ceremony was hosted by Olympic medallist, Katharine Merry and MM publisher, Liveryman Graham Yandell.
51 finalists were recognised, and ten category winners revealed, including the overall winner of the Meat Businesswoman of the Year.
You can watch the awards ceremony on-demand below and use the chapters to jump to the announcement of the Meat Businesswoman of the Year and Margaret's interview:
Margaret's reaction to winning the big one
On winning the overall award, Margaret said: "I am delighted to accept this award, and to see women being recognised in our industry. Research acknowledges that companies with women in senior management roles perform better than those without. We need the brightest and best across all sectors in order to deal with the challenges we are facing."
Full background information about the winners, as well as details of the finalists can be found in the December edition of Meat Management magazine both in print and online within the e-magazine, which can be viewed here.
Graham Yandell added: "Despite the extraordinary challenges we have all faced this year, it was great to be able to recognise many talented people who make up our industry.
"Although Covid-19 guidelines prevented us from staging a physical ceremony, the online format, along with the help of our special guest host, Katharine Merry, allowed us to truly appreciate the hard-work and dedication of the 51 finalists plus the category winners.
"Having received over 9,000 votes for this year’s initiative, the Women in Meat Industry Awards 2020 will certainly go down as one of the most memorable yet with wide industry engagement. However, those who were unable to tune into the ceremony live can stream the full video on-demand now - so be sure to catch up on all the proceedings."
The full list of 2020 winnersin the Women in Meat Awards...
- Meat Businesswoman Award – Trade Body: Margaret Boanas, chairman, International Meat Trade Association (IMTA).
- Meat Businesswoman Award – Foodservice: Tracey Gardner, account director, Fairfax Meadow.
- Meat Businesswoman Award – Retailing: Tricia Sykes, senior manager – technical and quality, meat fish and poultry, Asda.
- Meat Businesswoman Award – Training and Education: Georgina Corbett, shift manager, butchery academy area leader, Cranswick plc.
- The Rising Star Award: Katie Potter, butcher, Tim Potter Son & Daughter Ltd.
- Meat Businesswoman Award – Industry Supplier: Dr Fiona Roberts, technical supply chain analyst, Foods Connected.
- Meat Businesswoman Award – Manufacturing / Processing: Mairéad McCullough, site technical manager, ABP.
- Meat Businesswoman Award – Craft Butchery: Rachel Godwin, company director/head butcher, Alternative Meats Ltd.
- Meat Businesswoman Award – Wholesaling: Melanie Greaves, director/owner, T&G Wholesale Meats Ltd.
- Meat Businesswoman of the Year: Margaret Boanas – IMTA chairman.