Joining our Livery company and being a part of an historic institution able to trace its roots for more than 1,000 years, gives very special privileges.
The only organisation connecting all aspects of the meat industry as well as the people who work in it, membership of the Worshipful Company of Butchers provides exclusive access for networking, exchanging ideas and opinions, fellowship, industry education and training, and the chance to “put something back into the industry.”
Special experiences are part of the package; if you have yet to feel the comradeship, fellowship and hospitality of a Court Lunch, you don’t know what you’re missing.
Our vision is to be at the heart of the meat industry, actively supporting charities, education and the Armed Services – and we want you to play a part in our future.
Why join the WCB?
Being a Liveryman involves being awarded the Freedom of the City of London at the Chamberlain’s Court at London’s Guildhall, having the privilege of being able to vote for the Lord Mayor, access to a range of broad networking opportunities, as well as special Civic and Livery events and experiences that will live long in the memory.
Becoming a Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Butchers includes all of this and more:
- Networking, fellowship and entertaining opportunities through monthly Court Lunches, with special guest speakers.
- Access to a range of different Livery events in London and across the country.
- Booking rights for exclusive Carvery Lunches to entertain clients, colleagues, family and friends.
- Special facilities at Butchers’ Hall, the meeting place for companies/trade organisations to hold their events (subject to availability).
- Access to social and business events in the City of London, including the prestigious City Food Lecture.
- Member discount at the Grange Hotel at St Paul’s.
- Member access on the WCB website, including the ability to search and connect with other members.
- A Member Newsletter published three times per year.
- Valuable links to education programmes.
- The privilege of helping others and being involved in our charity work.
How to become a Liveryman
The Worshipful Company of Butchers prides itself on being a working livery with around 90% of its Liverymen connected with the meat industry.
We welcome new applicants to the Livery to help the Butchers remain a strong and vibrant Company.
Firstly, applicants need to be proposed by an existing Liveryman of the WCB. If you know someone who is already a member, it’s a good idea to approach them and discuss how they can support your application. It’s a good idea to get a Liveryman to bring you to a Court Lunch so you can experience, at first hand, our unique atmosphere.
Once you have a Proposer and Seconder, who’s a Member of the Court, and sent in your application, you’ll be invited to come and have an interview, a chat with Liverymen.